Saturday, September 19, 2009

Un día muy bueno.

I’ve been feeling better lately, since I started doing my Yoga AND Pilates regularly. And this morning, I was feeling really good about things when I finished, until… until I dropped the big glass lid that covers the bread plate and broke it… until I kicked mango dog poop while I was wearing FLIP FLOPS (!!!)… until I almost dropped my fork full of incredible macadamia nut pancakes with blueberry jelly on my lap… But really? What can I complain about? I’m buying a new lid, there were wet ones to wipe off my toes, and I saved the forkful of deliciousness. All is well. And I mean, nothing could be that bad on a day when you have the world’s best macadamia nut pancakes with macadamia nut butter and blueberry jam smothered all over the top of them. I’m talking about heaven. Heaven in my mouth. AND the 1 lb. bag of white chocolate bells filled with chopped macadamia nuts; those didn’t last very long (don’t talk smack; I shared… a little).

We had feedback today, and it was very reassuring. I think I’m getting more and more excited each time. It’s becoming so much more real. We leave Sunday 9/20 to go to FBT (Field Based Training) and I’m pretty excited to see what it will be like. We’ll be experiencing the lifestyle of a current volunteer and giving charlas to his assigned organization of a 50-Keq’Chi-women Coffee Cooperative. There will be translators to tell them what we’re saying in Spanish into their Mayan language – so cool. We also get to visit organizations such as ANACAFE and INTECAP to see just how the nonprofit world fits into development here in Guatemala. I wish I could tell you more about them, but at this point I’m still trying to figure things out myself.

The day is fast approaching that we find out our site-assignments. October 8th will read our fate for the next two years, and I’m pretty much really looking forward to it. We meet with our APCD (Assistant Peace Corps Director) sometime during our FBT to discuss what we want most out of a site. I will say something like, “I want to unite people, I want to organize, I want to make people smile, and I want weather that permits taking a warm bucket bath every day without freezing my butt off once the water runs off.” No big deal. J We’ve been told that many of the assignments will be in locations higher up in the mountains where it gets mighty chilly.

I’m sure I’ll have much more to report in the next two weeks.

Some things making me happy right now:
- Torrential downpour right this moment
- 20-minute relaxation soundtracks
- Reading The Shack
- A tummy full of heaven

I miss each of you more and more every day.

To Uncle Noodles, I would like to say thank you for being who you’ve been in my life and for encouraging my dream so enthusiastically. I couldn’t be more satisfied with the way things add up, and appreciate you heartily. I think of you and the family often and am sending you healing thoughts.

*I'm attempting to post an album to facebook right now. <3

1 comment:

  1. I immediately had to look up a recipe for some macadamia nut pancakes...yum!!

    Is FBT daily thing that you will go to and return from? Or is it just on Sunday? I'm excited for you to find out more about your site assignment. And I think it's so cool that you'll be translated from Spanish to Mayan...wow. :)

    ReplyDelete