Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Every little ting is gonna be alright.

Couldn't pick which one I liked best... a dusk shoot with a little bit of humo.

A hillside finca.

...
Today we had our first meeting with the group of Artisans we’ll be working with. I was nervous, but I think that’s just habitual (maybe it was little bit because I had to give my first presentation in Spanish to people who only understand Spanish, EVER). When I got up to talk in Spanish in front of the group of 8-12 Guatemalans we were meeting with, I shone proud—even with my runny nose, dry, itchy throat, and dizziness. I felt so much more at ease after we played our “rompehielo” and learned everyone’s name and the product they made. I’m pretty excited to do more of these presentations and to have the time to get to know the people we’re working with personally—it makes working with them so rewarding. So lucky I am to be doing a job where I have to draw from my desire to connect with people.

So, I’m trying to make a point of remembering that I need not worry.

There is a lot of time for reflection; reflection on how lucky I am, the quality people and things I’ve available to me to rely on, and the perfection of the situation I’ve allowed myself to be in. Each day I am excited for the next, and for the endless opportunities that lie ahead to live.



Doña Ana has been taking good care of me with my gripe, making me vegetable soup and hot bucket baths. I really enjoy spending time with this family, reflecting collectively on how lucky we are to get home just before the downpour hits, and then enjoying the sound of it on the lamina just the same. We ate at Pollo Campero yesterday after church and enjoyed eating almost the entire two bottles of ketchup with “papaya” (=corn syrup) on the table (well, they did anyway). There’s nothin’ like you’re “all-Guatemalan” fast food chicken (until I can cook for myself, I’m a vegetarian who eats chicken occasionally). **The cookies were a HUGE success - everyone loved them, especially me.**

This is Mariana (my little niece) and me. :)



Last Thursday, Shaila taught us and her Doña a few different steps to salsa and Eduardo, our maestro, was quite the T.A. I feel like, with just two or more days of practice, being led by the two of them, we will be experts. But, really, I am glad she did. You know how there’s someone who thinks some hobby of theirs is just the cat’s meow, and you don’t? And they want to convince you, in any manner possible, that it really is? And, once they finally get you to do it, you realize it’s not so bad, and yes, you actually do like to dance? Well, thank you, Shaila, for helping me to remember that it’s okay to be comfortable in my skin at all times.

The people I’m spending my time with are calidad.



I suppose that’s all for now. But, one last thing: in case you’re wondering, the music I’m listening to at the moment that’s making me feel some kind of wonderful is a little bit of Taj Mahal and Frank Sinatra, mixed in with some Save Ferris and Harry Connick, Jr. Just watched When Harry Met Sally, and couldn’t be in a better mood here with my runny nose, dry, itchy throat, and dizziness. Buenas noches, que descansa.

1 comment:

  1. Hola Sees! I hope that you start feeling better soon... The "gripe" is no fun, especially when you're so far from home! I enjoyed reading this last posting, and can't wait to read more :-) You are such an inspiration! I yub you mucho! ~Sees

    ReplyDelete