Monday, November 9, 2009

:)

Today I washed my clothes by hand for the very first time. I don’t know that I did such a good job in my two-and-a-half hour stint, but I did it. We shall judge the results when my clothes finally dry probably two or three days from now.

I stood at the pila on the roof underneath the little awning of lamina rubbing my hands raw with detergent, looking amongst the mountainous glory lined with silver-lined clouds and sun, listening to the pitter-patter of light rain on that lamina awning, and gasping at the splendor of a perfectly glistening rainbow seemingly just a football field away. This rainbow, with its start shooting out the depths of the ravine and end going over the other side of the mountain, was the most beautifully brilliant I’ve ever seen. Then, as I turned to gather the surrounding view, I saw the volcano I now live in the vicinity of and, again, had my breath taken away.

Is life really hard? I don’t think so. I see beautiful things daily that make it worthwhile to stop and appreciate all those things that there are to appreciate in this world. I may be sick now and then, lose my voice because of it, rub my hands raw with detergent, cook and sleep both in one room, sleep with numb toes, and be thoroughly challenged by ever-new surroundings, but I still have those beautiful things to bring me back to that knowledge that life really is, well, beautiful.


The holidays are coming and I heard my first Christmas song (in Spanish) on the radio Friday morning. My initial reaction, being reminded that I am without those I most love this holiday season, was “BAH!” (Plus, it’s only the beginning of November) But, that same evening, as I began to bake with my sitemate for a potluck we were going to on Saturday, I couldn’t help but let him drag me into the spirit of it. We put on Christmas music (I know, bah – but we do what we can to make ourselves feel at home here) and made REALLY YUMMY oatmeal/craisin cookies AND orange vegan cake with fresh-, home-squeezed orange juice and strawberry jelly/powdered sugar icing. They were both a hit (yes, even the vegan cake – a few people even requested the recipe).

This afternoon, after washing my clothes, the sitemates all got together at M&M’s house for dinner. M&M made us some amazing quiche, and I made No Bakes. Have you ever had them? If you have, you’d know how INCREDIBLE they taste. It was fabulous. We also watched When Harry Met Sally (yes, again – it never gets old to me) and, once again, it put me in a state of bliss.
...

Enjoy your day, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment