Tuesday, June 2, 2009

"¡Felicidades, Amanda! ¡Mucha suerte en Guatemala! =)"

As I sit here reading aloud my hundreds of pages required of me before I call to confirm that YES, I WANT TO SERVE, I make my mom (and myself) tear up at the fact that I will be experiencing unimaginable familiarity in a place as yet so unfamiliar to me.

I will be in Guatemala for two years and three months, starting August 12th, 2009, and will be leaving August 10th for my pre-service orientation.

I will be a Marketing Facilitator for Sustainable Agriculture, helping to promote sustainable and rewarding business practices and fortification/diversification of clientele for local growers (from what I can gather at this point in my reading).

I will be learning the lives and hearts of people so foreign from what I know or understand at this time in my life, and I cannot wait. I cannot wait for how much larger my heart will become, for how much I will learn and how much I will be giving each day. I cannot wait for the upcoming fostered ability to release all things unimportant and trivial from my daily dose of mind-madness.

I anxiously and fearfully await the challenge I face, and am fully prepared to tackle it head on. The Land of Eternal Spring will be my new home SO SOON!

More to come, love to you.

"Las olas dicen a la costa firme: 'Todo será cumplido.'"
- Neruda

3 comments:

  1. I really admire you for doing this. I know that you'll find inner peace living with simple people on simple life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que te vayas con corazon llena, mente abierta, y brazos fuertes y sin ni una expectacion (porque todas seran contradichas en el concurso que viene). Te felicito loverpants!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing news, a huge commitment on your part, certainly admirable! I'm sure you will have a fantastic experience doing a lot of good down there. I hope it is everything you are expecting and more, good luck Amanda!

    ReplyDelete